Wednesday, August 13, 2014

~Author Spotlight~ Rick Chiantaretto



Rick has often been accused of having done more in his life than the average person his age but if he was completely honest, He'd have to tell you his secret: He's really 392.
So after all this time, He's a pretty crappy writer.
He has two books published and a bunch half written (when you have eternity, where's the reason to rush?). He's been favorably reviewed by horror greats like Nancy Kilpatrick, and his how-to-write-horror articles have been quoted in scholarly (aka community college freshmen's) papers.
He enjoys the occasional Bloody Mary, although a Bloody Kathy or Susan will suffice.
Mostly, He just tries to keep a low profile so people don't figure out who HE REALLY is.


1. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?

You know, I've been really lucky. Even people who don't like dark fantasy or horror have enjoyed my books, and I'm very proud of that. I have had a few "this book wasn't really for me" type responses, but no personal attacks - and that's a big deal, I think. I realize that eventually it will happen, but so far people have been very nice to me - and I'm very lucky.


I always appreciate it when people "get" my work. There are people who enjoy it, who read it, etc. But then there are the people who "get" it. When I get emails asking me questions or talking about a theme that was subtle, I always give a little cheer. Those are the best kind of compliments.



2. Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?

They say that writers write what we know, and I think that's true. Of course there is some of me in each and every book, and I write about places and things I'm familiar with. Heck, in Facade of Shadows I even play my own omniscient character (and why not!? The author IS omniscient after all).



3. Can you tell us about your upcoming releases? If you have any.
I'm really trying to stay focused on the Crossing Death series. Death of the Spirit (Crossing Death #2) will definitely be my next release. If you haven't read Death of the Body this probably won't mean much to you, but I have a lot of wonderful people waiting for Death of the Spirit, and I'm excited to continue Edmund's story.



4. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

I own a metaphysical online store (thefallingmoon.com) that is quickly turning into an awesome place to go learn, shop, and immerse in what I call "Universal Spirituality." It's still under construction, so that has taken a lot of my time. When I'm not writing I'm usually working on that website. I also have a full-time day job as a computer consultant. By the time I get home, cook dinner, unwind a bit, take the dogs out, and work on the site or book I'm usually out of time and totally exhausted.



5. You have multiple personalities, describe some of them

Oh, I definitely have the inner diva.

Probably have a bit of an inner slut, ha!

I have one who is entirely too caring about people.

Mike sometimes calls me Gypsy Boy - so that's probably one too.




6. What made you decide to write your first book?

Facade of Shadows was my first book, and was inspired by a high school writing competition. I think I wrote it just to prove to myself that I could.



7. Do you have any strange writing habits?

I usually write at night, and prefer to do so in complete silence and darkness. I CAN write in other situations (actually, I love writing on planes too), but when the shadows start to come alive in the middle of the night I know I'll get some of my best stuff.



8. If you could cast your characters in a Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play what characters?

I think Anthony Zerbe would do a good job as Joshua. I can see Logan Lerman as Edmund, Arden Cho as Xia, and Taylor Lautner as Nicholas... but I really haven't thought much about this, and am okay with people who are totally unknown



9. Who are the authors that inspire you?

I'm inspired by many for different reasons. Edgar Allan Poe is timeless. Bram Stoker is unforgettable (and really got it right with just ONE work! Do you know anything else he's written?). Anne Rice for her success. LJ Smith for her story telling. Rebecca Ethington because she is such a cheer leader for other authors. I'm even inspired by Stephenie Meyer, because her story telling ability and characterization (even the characters I didn't like stick with me).


10. Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?

Thanks for making me successful! It really is all you. Keep telling your friends about me and my books! I'm so grateful.


~DEATH OF THE BODY~

~FACADE OF SHADOWS~
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KX9AGHA

No comments:

Post a Comment