Monday, August 18, 2014

~Author Spotlight~ Jason Insalaco



Jason Insalaco is a videographer and public speaker whose mission is to share his story of recovery and his insights into mental illness and addictions in order to educate, encourage, and inspire others along the paths to their own recovery.

In 1995, Jason began his recovery following a drug-induced manic episode that led to his dual diagnosis of bipolar I and alcohol/drug addiction. Since that time, he has been writing and journaling, producing videos, and speaking publicly about his personal experience with mental health and addiction issues. He is an avid blogger and has self-published his own book. No More Crutch, which consists of writings and poetry that express his thoughts and feelings during the early years of his recovery. His videos, which can be viewed on YouTube, capture and express his thoughts and feelings through images.

Currently, Jason serves the mental health community as a trained presenter and speaker for the National Alliance on Mental Illness’s (NAMI’s) In Our Own Voice (IOOV) educational and advocacy program. As an IOOV presenter, he speaks freely about his dark days, acceptance, treatment, coping skills, successes, hopes, and dreams.


About Instinctive Bird

I created Instinctive Bird in November, 2011 as a sanctuary for others who struggle with mental health issues, specifically bipolar I, and addictions to alcohol and drugs. Through my blog, I manage a living journal of my own personal struggles and achievements along with thoughts, feelings, and insights regarding recovery.

In addition to my blog, Instinctive Bird contains a page for my book. No More Crutch, a collection of writings from my early years of battling bipolar disorder up to the point at which I began my journey of recovery. You will also find a contact form for getting in touch with me.
Jason Insalaco
instinctivebird.com



1. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?--I haven't had any tough criticism yet, but my best compliment is that this book of poetry and writings speaks to people who have or are going through the darkness of mental illness or substance abuse.

2 . Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
--All the writings in this book were based on feelings and thoughts going through the darkness of my recovery from bipolar disorder and addiction.

3. Can you tell us about your upcoming releases? If you have any.
--I've been working on a memoir, but don't have a release date. It's in the works.

4. What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
--I like to spend time with my family, make videos which are on YouTube, and doing public speaking to educate and eradicate the stigma of Mental Illness.

5. You have multiple personalities, describe some of them
--Husband, father, public worker, mental health advocate, and an artist.

6. What made you decide to write your first book?
--I wanted to go back and organize my past in recovery with my dual diagnosis of bipolar disorder and addiction and share how it feels to go through the process of recovery.

7. Do you have any strange writing habits?
- -Not really, when I have thoughts, I write. I keep a journal in my car because during the week I'm at work and mostly write on my lunch break.

8. If you could cast your characters in a Hollywood adaptation of your book, who would play what characters?
--Since the writings are based on my own recovery I would like to have maybe, Johnny Depp to act out the writings.

9. Who are the authors that inspire you?
-- The authors that inspire me, are the ones who share their life stories which give the reader introspection into their own life.

10. Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?
--Thank you for reading "No More Crutch ", and journeying into my dark years of recovery from bipolar disorder and addiction with me


Book link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/146999562X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1407264227&sr=8-1




Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/146999562X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1407264227&sr=8-1



Instinctive Bird Facebook https://www.facebook.com/InstinctiveBird



website http://www.instinctivebird.com/



Jason's FB https://www.facebook.com/jason.insalaco?fref=ts



Goodreads

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16220593-no-more-crutch


No comments:

Post a Comment