Thursday, March 27, 2014

Book Spotlight~ Lifters by Jane Harvey Berrick



After eight years in prison, twenty-four year old Jordan Kane is the man everyone loves to hate.
Forced to return to his hometown while on parole, Jordan soon learns that this small town hasn’t changed since he was sent away. He is the local pariah, shunned by everyone, including his own parents. But their hatred of him doesn’t even come close to the loathing he feels every time he looks in the mirror.
Working odd jobs for the preacher lady, Jordan bides his time before he can leave this backwards town. But can time or distance erase the pain of living?
Torrey Delaney is new in town, and certainly doesn’t behave in a way the locals believe a preacher’s daughter should. Her reputation for casual hook-ups and meaningless sex quickly spreads. And that’s on top of her budding friendship with the hardened ex-con handyman – the good Reverend is less than thrilled with her estranged daughter’s path.
As friendship forms, can two damaged people who are afraid to love take their relationship to the next level? Can Torrey live with Jordan’s demons, and can Jordan break through Torrey’s walls? With the disapproval of a small town weighing heavily on them, they struggle to find their place in the world. Can they battle the odds, or will their world be viciously shattered?
Is love a life sentence?
Buy links:
                                                                                 

You tube link:
                                                                 


 Favorite Authors: Jane Austen. Always.
Books That Made You Want To Become A Writer: I’ve always written. My kindergarten teacher presented my mother with a book I’d written and illustrated about Tutankhamen. She still has it somewhere. I thought I wanted to be a journalist but I wasn’t very good at it—I preferred making things up.
Pieces of Advice you have for aspiring writers: Write every day, even if it’s just a line in your journal/diary. And always carry a small notebook. You never know when you’ll have an idea.
Places You Would Most Want to Travel To: I don’t like traveling, but if I could use a wormhole through time and space, I’d go to Machu Picchu. And I’d love to visit Japan one day.
Favorite Snacks: chocolate. Any kind.
Favorite Movies/TV Shows: Buffy—the benchmark for quality paranormal TV.
Ten tunes you have on your (Music) Ipod, etc..I wouldn’t say it’s inspired me, it’s more of an anthem. The Buzzcocks, ‘Have you ever fallen in love (with someone you shouldn’t have fallen in love with)’
Books that inspired you in your life? Fifty Shades of Grey. I didn’t think I could write a sex scene until I read that.
Cities you want to visit or your favorite cities? Vancouver, Canada. I have no idea, but I always feel totally at home there.
Words that describe yourself? Obsessed with writing.
Pieces of advice you would tell the "teen" you: don’t date David the pre-med student. He was born an asshole and just grew bigger.



2 comments:

  1. Loved this book so much Verna thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Verna...I loved this book so much and it deserves this well written tribute.

    ReplyDelete