Monday, June 30, 2014

Interview with R.M. Alexander



1. What inspired you to write your first book?
A dream. Not an exciting story, I’m afraid. Most of my stories are from an overactive dreamlife, or occasionally, inspired by a song.
2. Is there a message in your books that you want your readers to grasp?

I never think about a message when I’m writing, but I’ve been told by readers that they’ve seen them in the books, and then I go back and read it and kind of see what they’re talking about. Honestly, though, I just write to tell the story.  
3. How did you decide on the titles of your books?
Brainstorming sessions, inspiration from quotes or other places. Like with Matter of Choice: I did a search on some quotes for encouragement and not giving up. There was one that struck me, how life isn’t a matter of luck or chance, but more about the choices you make. I played with the words a little bit and came up with Matter of Choice.
4. If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Hmm, just one? *sigh*  I don’t think I can! LOL! Like I said in the last question, I’ve learned from every author I’ve read.

5. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

The initial 1st draft. It’s the most creative one, and that’s fun, but it’s also the one that makes you bleed as you’re writing. It’s the one that makes you fight through writer’s block and changes directions without a second’s notice. It’s the most challenging part of the writing process, and that’s both good and bad.
6. Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your work? We would all love to hear about you.

I’m afraid I’m a little boring. I’m a stay at home wife and mom to two little girls. I have emoticonitis, I love typing emoticons when I’m texting or messaging people. I love tigers and Disney. I’m addicted to crab legs and chocolate, and orange juice. I drink a gallon of it a week, at least. As for what I write, I just love romance – the kind that makes your knees weak and your heart melt. I love it, so I write about it.

7.If you could pick one of your characters to have a lunch date with, who would it be and where would you go/what would you discuss?  

Leonardo from my upcoming novel, Veil of Secrecy. He is so captivating, and I’d love to hear him talk, just talk. He has such a realistic, and positive view of the world, despite everything he knows. *laughing* I guess I’m being vague, but I think everyone will understand when they read the book.

8.Do you have any advice for other writers out there? Maybe something you wish you had known before you wrote your first book?

Don’t give up. It’s easy to throw in the towel, especially when you’re getting rejected. Don’t. Keep reading and keep writing, keep learning.
9. Who have been your biggest cheerleaders during your writing process? Who are the ones you have to share your news with, about your books, immediately?

My biggest cheerleader is TJ Loveless. She and I became crit partners back four years ago, and now we’re editing and business partners, and friends. Although, I’m afraid I go to her more than she comes to me *hanging my head* *laughing*. Although we are very different in what we write, and just about everything else, we work extraordinarily well together, and I couldn’t have gotten this far without her.


I also have amazing family and friends who cheer me on, a wonderful husband, and a great group of ladies on my street team who love the books. My PA Stephy is also amazing. I’m very blessed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment