Wednesday, October 18, 2017

*Spotlight* Susie Kelly


Multi-region link: http://authl.it/3c3?d

Synopsis: Susie makes no claims to being a cooking queen. She admits that over the years she has made every cookery mistake possible, including pouring hot oil back into a plastic bottle and watching the bottle melt and flood most of the kitchen. Then there was the great icing sugar misunderstanding....  but in The Lazy Cook she has put together an irresistible collection of the tasty, comfort-food recipes that are enjoyed by her family and friends, spattered with generous blobs of funny. 

Reviews: ‘Recently I switched to a diet that would keep the pH of my body in a more alkaline state. I am not much of a cook, but I realized that to make sure I get the diet I wanted, I will have to learn to prepare the meals myself. In addition, I have a cultural problem with cookbooks. They make me think of science experiments that I will likely fail at because I lack the right equipment, ingredients or intelligence to implement correctly.

Susie Kelly's book addresses all of these issues and it is now my top choice in vegan or vegetarian cookbooks.

Her recipes are vegetarian, including fish and eggs, with notes on which recipes are vegan or gluten free. This helps me focus on the vegan recipes which are closer to the pH diet I want.

The ingredients and equipment are easy to come by. I don't need fancy kitchen gadgets. She doesn't use them herself.

The recipes are simple which lazy cooks, and inexperienced cooks like myself, need. The recipes are also easy to find in the book.

Perhaps most of all, she enhances the recipes by enclosing them in entertaining stories which make them memorable. This got me thinking that recipes may be closer to favorite poems or stories that one re-tells rather than science experiments.’


Multi-region link: http://authl.it/48o?d

Synopsis: The 2nd instalment of the travel author's delightful round-ups of her favourite quick, simple, easy recipes, sprinkled with anecdote and humour. 

Reviews: ‘Meh’ US reader
‘An interesting cookbook to read but I don't plan on trying any of the recipes. I find that authors from other countries use different terms for ingredients and cooking utensils than we do in the USA and it can get confusing.’ US reader
‘It was free so I got it. Nothing to brag about.’ US reader
‘Very British. I didn't even know what some of the foods were here!’ US reader

Author bio and books: amazon.com/author/susiekelly

Bio: Susie Kelly was born in grey post-war London, and spent much of her childhood and young adulthood in the beautiful country of Kenya.

She now lives in south-west France with a menagerie of assorted animals, and is passionate about animal welfare.

Her first book "Best Foot Forward" was published by Transworld Publishers in 2003, followed by "Two Steps Backward" in 2004, and "A Perfect Circle" in 2006.

Since 2011 Susie's books have been published by Blackbird Digital Books, whose theme is strong, adventurous women living life to the full. Blackbird Digital Book people love birds and animals, travel, history, romance, natural health and environment, resourcefulness, humour, the surreal and magic.

If her house caught fire and she could only save three things (apart from her animals, of course), they would be courage, compassion and a sense of humour.


No comments:

Post a Comment