Wednesday, October 18, 2017

*Release* Ideal Image by Freya Barker & KT Dove


BLURB:

In one blinding flash, the very fiber of her existence is shredded. 
For criminal lawyer and single mother, Stacie Gustafson, a dependable career, a well-organized life, and an immaculate image, had always been her armor. Without it she’s left exposed and struggling to create a new existence for her and her daughter. No matter how hard she tries, she is unable to avoid her history.

All it takes is one look at the blue-eyed woman, for Nicolas Flynn to be transported back ten years. Sure, her appearance has changed, but then so has his, since he turned his life around. His devotion to his small-town law firm is tested with the arrival of this bittersweet blast from the past, making for a persistent distraction. One that drags along more trouble than she left behind.

Universal Amazon Link: http://myBook.to/IdealImage


EXCERPT:

By the time I get back to the table, Ben is in deep conversation with Al and Nick. Something about a doubleheader, which tells me sports, which also means I can dive into the stack of blueberry pancakes I scored at the buffet in peace. However, it seems Nick has other ideas.
“So what are the chances I can get you to come work with me?” he suddenly asks, catching me with my mouth full of sweet, fluffy deliciousness.
Have you ever tried talking with a mouth full of pancake crumbs? Not recommending it.
“With you?” I blurt out, spraying all over his clean white dress shirt. “Jesus, I’m sorry!” My apology only adds to the problem.
“Swallow first, Stace,” my brother says helpfully, chuckling at his own joke.
I throw him a glare before dunking my napkin in the nearest water glass. Turning back to Nick, I try not to look up in his face, but focus on his pristine shirt, rubbing furiously at the little blue specks I’ve left all over it. I pretend I don’t notice the heat from the solid body underneath my hands, or the chuckles and giggles I hear around the table.
Luckily, Mak’s cheerful banter—a full stomach does wonders for the kid—quickly distracts everyone from my more than embarrassing moment. The conversation around the table seems to fade into the background, and all I hear is the pounding of my own heart.
“It’s fine.”
Nick’s voice is soft, but clear as a bell against the background noise.
“It’s fine, don’t worry,” he repeats, and still I don’t look up.
When my hand is stilled by a steel grip around my wrist, I do look up, straight into Nick’s dark, but highly amused eyes.
“Okay.”
I feel dumb. I fucking sound dumb. There’s too much going on here I can’t wrap my head around, or even want to attempt trying.
“I’m sorry if I threw you with my question,” he says. “I’ve wanted to ask you since Ben told me you were settling here. Well, in Dolores,” he quickly corrects himself. “I left a few messages for you earlier in the year, but I never followed up. Then summer hit, and it got busy, but I’m still interested.”
“Even after I ruined your shirt?”
I watch with interest when his eyes crinkle and lines pop up all over his face as he smiles. Age looks good on him. I’m not sure where that thought comes from, but it’s true. Nicholas is one of those guys who will probably continue to improve with age. Utterly unfair, if you ask me. Still, he strikes an imposing character: with his dark eyes, clean jaw, white smile, and bald head.
“Plenty more shirts, but only one you,” he replies smoothly, his face now straight, but his eyes still smiling. “Unless you have no interest, we should set up a time for you to come into the office,” he adds, leaning back in his chair to let the waiter top off his coffee. “We can chat, I can tell you what I’m thinking, and you can have a look around.”
I’m not sure what prompts me, and from the surprised looks on Ben and Isla’s faces, they’re as shocked as I am at what comes out of my mouth.
“I’d love to.”




No comments:

Post a Comment