Sunday, September 21, 2014

Death of The Body by Rick Chiantaretto ~Randi's Review~ *****


I grew up in a world of magic. By the time I was ten I understood nature, talked to the trees, and listened to the wind. When the kingdom of men conquered my town, I was murdered by one of my own—the betrayer of my kind. But I didn't stay dead.

I woke to find myself in a strange new world called Los Angeles. The only keys to the life I remembered were my father’s ring, my unique abilities, and the onslaught of demons that seemed hell-bent on finding me. Now I must find out who I really am, protect my friends, and get back to my beloved hometown of Orenda.



Death of The Body by Rick Chiantaretto was an interesting read.
It’s about a young boy, Edmund, who is ten years old and has grown up with magic. He can understand and communicate with nature, and he’s seen and experienced a lot in his young life making him more mature than the average ten year old.
But after a run in with the “bad guys” the Kingdom of Men, he ends up thrown into our world, waking up in LA, having to figure out how to navigate our world while still trying to fight the demons from his own.
………
One of the things that made this book so interesting is the fact that Edmund never really seemed like a ten year old. By the end of the book he’s 21 and it seems more like that was the case the whole time. In the beginning of the book I had assumed that time must move different in his world, causing him to be grown by the age of ten since he seemed so much older, but as I read I came to the understanding that that’s just Edmund, he’s older than his years and he shows it.
This story is a little dark and twisty in places, but it’s also deep and compelling and has a real story to tell. This book isn’t just trying to make you scared or think or make you happy or laugh…it does all those things. There isn’t one clear genre for this book, and that’s one of the things that I like most about it. The author didn’t worry about what his book was or where it would fit, he just wrote it to be whatever it is. He didn’t force it and that shows in the writing.
It’s a well written story and it was entertaining and enjoyable and I would recommend it to others.
I’m going to give this book a 5 out of 5 stars.




I've often been accused of having done more in my life than the average person my age but if I were completely honest, I'd have to tell you my secret: I'm really 392.
So after all this time, I'm a pretty crappy writer.
I have two books published and a bunch half written (when you have eternity, where's the reason to rush?). I've been favorably reviewed by horror greats like Nancy Kilpatrick, and my how-to-write-horror articles have been quoted in scholarly (aka community college freshmen's) papers.
I enjoy the occasional Bloody Mary, although a Bloody Kathy or Susan will suffice.
Mostly, I just try to keep a low profile so people don't figure out who I REALLY am. 

Purchase Links:

Author Links 




No comments:

Post a Comment